University officials review faculty behavior at football game

By Jane Incao

Razorback Reporter

University officials are reviewing the actions of a faculty member who was arrested Saturday night after he shouted obscenities at the Razorbacks head football coach, according to a statement from the Dale Bumpers College.

Lanier Nalley, 37, was arrested Saturday on the charges of disorderly conduct and public intoxication after shouting insults at coach Bret Bielema following the Razorbacks loss to long-time rival University of Alabama.

“We have reviewed this situation and are very disappointed by Dr. Nalley’s actions, which were highly inappropriate,” wrote Interim Dean Lona Robertson. “Dr. Nalley is remorseful for what occurred. He is respected for his teaching and research, and has been an asset to the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness, and the college. Taking all this into consideration, we are moving forward with appropriate measures to address the matter with Dr. Nalley, who remains employed by the university.”

Nalley issued this statement:

“I embarrassed myself, the college and the university. I hold myself to higher standards and have no excuses for my actions. I especially want to apologize to Coach (Bret) Bielema.”

Nalley was heard yelling, “If I had your record, I’d be f***ing fired. F*** you,” in the direction of the football coach, according to the Washington County Detention Intake Report.

Nalley was booked at 11:09 p.m. and released at 11:48 p.m. with a bond of $465, according to the report.

This article includes reporting from The Arkansas Traveler.